Saturday, August 16, 2014

The first military governor of Kebbi state and former minister of communications, Gen Patrick Aziza is dead. He died Saturday at the age of 67.
 Aziza who has been sick of cancer, reportedly died in Abuja about 3:45am . The news of his death took the urhobos and Deltans aback as people were seen in groups discussing the sudden death of the onetime minister of Communication under the military government of late General Sani Abacha. 
Major-General (retired) Patrick Aziza was the first military Governor of Kebbi state after it was split off from Sokoto State on 27 August 1991 during the military regime of General Ibrahim Babangida. 
Aziza's was born in Okpe local Government Area in Delta state on 23 December 1947.  He was raised in Abakaliki. He went to Ibadan for his secondary education before joining the army and participating in the civil war (1967–1970). Aziza then attended the  Nigerian Defence Academy, NDA, graduating in 1970. He was commissioned 2nd lieutenant and promoted to lieutenant in 1970, and was posted to the 3rd Marine Commando. In 1971 he was promoted to captain. 
Aziza was the Brigade Commander of the Amphibious Brigade in Calabar when he was appointed the first military administrator of Kebbi State, holding office from 28 August 1991 to January 1992, when he handed over to the elected civilian governor at the start of the aborted  3rd Republic.
Aziza was a member of the group of officers that planned the coup in which General Sanni Abacha took power. He was Chairman of the Special Military Tribunal that convicted Olusegun Obasanjo and Major General Shehu Y' Ardua for involvement in an alleged 1995 coup plot.
He was also head of a tribunal that tried six journalists for treason, based on publishing accounts of the coup. The trials were swift and the conclusion appeared to be decided in advance.
Aziza was required by President Obasanjo to retire from the army in June 1999 after the return to democracy.
Also Nuhu Ribadu leaves Apc for PDP

Posted via Composer

No comments: